Sharing files/directories with colons in name

Patrick D. Ashmore pda at procyon.com
Wed Nov 28 00:54:14 GMT 2001

Hail SAMBA folks,

I'm having a little difficulty trying to share files and directories that
contain a colon in the filename. With a fairly simple configuration,
everything works as expected sans the colon problem.

On the client end (in my case, Windows 2000 SP2) I get somewhat
unpredictable behaviour. In every case the file (or directory) name gets
mangled in an unfriendly way. For directories, they either appear empty or
are an infinite recursion of themselves. For files, they seem to be
mangled in a similarly unfriendly way, but they can still be accessed.

I tried using "mangled map = (*:* **)" to try to just get rid of the
colons, but that doesn't quite seem to work.

Interestingly enough, the samba log shows the following when trying to
access a directory with a colon:

[2001/11/28 00:42:03, 0] smbd/open.c:open_directory(1111)
  open_directory: unable to stat name = foo:bar. Error was No such file or
directory

However, nothing of the sort turns up when I access a file with a colon.

I'm using Samba 2.2.2 (technically, Version 2.2.2debian-2 from Debian
woody) under Linux 2.4.9.

Is this a problem with the version I am using, or is there a configuration
option that I seem to be overlooking?

Thanks!

Regards,
Patrick

--
Patrick D. Ashmore            pda at procyon.com (Home)
Fremont, CA                   pda at valinux.com (Work - VA Linux Systems)

There is little difference between radical fundamentalism and blind patriotism.