Access denied from NT

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Tue Nov 27 12:12:03 GMT 2001

Jim Provan wrote:

> What service level is the NT Box ? Prior to SP3 (I think) you had to use
> plaintext passwords.

INCORRECT:  Prior to SP3 you had the *OPTION* of using plaintext
passwords.  Encrypted passwords have been supported back into the
distant dark days of the protocol.  You will have trouble finding one of
these clients.

> Encrypted passwords had to be used after this. If this is SP3 or lower,
> upgrade to SP6a and
> you should be good to go.

You really should be using 'security=domain'

Run 'smbpasswd -j DOMAINNAME -r ntpdc1 -Uadministrator%password' to add
the machine account and join it.

>         password server = ntpdc1
>         encrypt passwords = yes
>         null passwords = no
>         invalid users = @root, @wheel, @bin, @sys
>
>         load printers = no
>         show add printer wizard = no
>
>  socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY  \
> IPTOS_THROUGHPUT SO_RCVBUF=4096 SO_SNDBUF=4096
>
>         interfaces = 192.24.206.120/24
>
>         local master = no
>         os level = 33
>         domain master = no
>         preferred master = no
>
> [work_mc]
>         comment = /work/mc
>         path = /work/mc
>         browseable = yes
>         writeable = yes
>         public = no
>
> FYI nmbd and smbd started from inetd daemon and
> accordingly /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf file
> modified. Here is the sample of that

It is highly advised to run samba as seperate deamons.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net