share modes

Martin Sapsed m.sapsed at bangor.ac.uk
Tue Nov 27 10:29:04 GMT 2001

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 11:06:59AM +0000, Martin Sapsed wrote:
> > I used to have
> >   share modes = no
> > on all my application shares as they were accessed for read-only. I
> > particularly put this on my netlogon share after someone got an exclusive
> > lock on part of the login script! I find with 2.2.2 that share modes is no
> > longer allowed and I get smbstatus lock entries for loads of application
> > stuff which people should be locking. What is the 2.2.2 equivalent which
> > turns of all locking on a share. I've got
> >   locking = no
> > but that doesn't seem to do the trick. Previous version was good old
> > 1.9.18p10!

then Jeremy Allison replied

> I have a fix for this that I'll be putting into 2.2 and HEAD
> for the next release. Essentially, setting "share modes = no"
> will turn off deny mode processing and always return "ok".

Isn't that what it used to do anyway?

> I'm tempted to only allow this on read only shares though....
> What do you think ?

and finally "MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1)" wrote: (top-posted actually! ;-)

> I seem to remember someone complaining about this being gone
> (share modes = no) because he had a bunch of people that executed
> files from a share that was readonly for THEM, but  he wanted to
> be able to login as an admin user to UPDATE the .exe files, and
> didn't want to kick them all off to do so...  So for that situation,
> the share would have to be readwrite wouldn't it?

My thoughts exactly. I think there are other instances in the manual where
the advice is pretty much "only do this if you know what you're doing!"

The other benefit of this is that my smbstatus reports have grown huge
because of all the stuff being remembered about stuff which shouldn't be
worried about.

I guess I could live with share modes = no only being permitted on readonly
shares as I do alterations on a master server which (mostly) isn't used by
punters but I'd prefer to be left to work it out myself.

Perhaps the other argument is whether share modes = no should be implied
for readonly shares?

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Sapsed				To have no errors
Information Services			Would be life without meaning