Printing server on samba, autoconfiguration of printers on client side ?

Aubin Galinotti aubin.galinotti at activia.net
Tue Nov 27 02:52:03 GMT 2001

  Hello,

Sorry for disturbing, I'am not sure it's really a samba issue.

I have printers shared on a samba box (which is also PDC), using cups.
I can print, install drivers, download them, etc ...

but the probleme is, how can I tell a win client to use the config from the samba server ?

For instance, I have a printer who has only a4 paper, the printer is configured on the samba server. But when I install it on the windos client it will try to print using letter format. So I have to reconfigure the printer locally.

Has I have many clients I would like not to reconfigure them all, is there a solution ?

Maybe someone know what is the registry key who has the setting, in this case I could configure on one windows box and update the registery on all the others ... but this would but a hack .. I wonder if there is a better solution.

In my investigations I have seen an 'Automatic Configuration' button in the configure panel of he printers, but it's desactivated. Do you know how to activate it ? (Help said it not actived because the printing port is not in bidirectonial communication, but when I put the setting 'Enable Bidirectional Support' it's not saved)

Here is a summary of my config :
  - Samba server 2.2.2-6, rpm install on a RedHat 7.2
    PDC
    Printers managed by cups

  - Clients win2k pro and adv servers

extract from smb.conf :
###########
[print$]
    path = /samba/printers
    guest ok = yes
    browseable = yes
    read only = yes
    write list = root, at sysadmin

[printers]
    path = /samba/spool/public
    postscript = yes
    printer admin = @sysadmin
    printing = cups
    guest ok = yes
    browseable = no
    printable = yes
    public = yes
    print command = lpr -P %p -o raw %s
    use client driver = no

  Thanks for helping, or to direct me to the correct list/documentation/web/whatever/...

	Aubin Galinotti