Who else can reproduce this problem?

junkmail junkmail at tomcat.umsl.edu
Mon Nov 26 18:30:04 GMT 2001

>I can reproduce this. But I think "it's not a bug it's a feature". Because
>the folder you want to delete is open (in the right pane), you cannot
>delete it. Try to rightclick an _unselected_ folder and delete it - this
>will work, even in the left pane of explorer. It's like formating a floppy..
>.

Thank you for replying Oliver.  Now I've got you and two others who can
duplicate it.

I'd like to just dismiss it as a quirk of the Windows Explorer of Windows
2000 but the thing is I CAN NOT REPRODUCE this behavior against ANYTHING
OTHER than a Samba 2.2.1a or 2.2.2 share - be it an actual Windows 2000
share, a Samba 2.0.9 share, the local hard drive, or a Novell share.
(Please nobody start pointing the finger at Novell, two of the four Windows
2000 boxes I tested from had no Novell client software installed and now
I've got other people from this list verifying the behaviour as well.)

My sense is that it there is a bug in Windows Explorer on Windows 2000 that
is somehow TRIGGERED by Samba 2.2.1a and 2.2.2 and it seems to be isolated
to the Windows Explorer of Windows 2000, using the Windows Explorer of
Windows 98 against a 2.2.2 share does not produce the problem.

I'm sure a lot of you think I'm making a mountain out of mole-hill but I
have two concerns regarding this matter which are important to me:

We are about to go very large scale with Samba where I work and map the "My
Documents" folder of Windows 2000 onto a Samba share for what will
eventually be about a 1000 users / 1000 Windows 2000 boxes.

My concerns about this are #1 - keeping the confidence of our PC support
staff - they are bound to run into this and ask me about it and probably
point out that the access denied problem doesn't happen against a real
Windows 2000 server so in there minds its Samba thats broken, whether or
not it is really a bug in Windows 2000 that is triggered by Samba, in their
minds it will be Samba thats broken.  Confidence in Samba by your PC
support staff is important.
 #2, it does make me just a little leary of what else haven't I found out
yet in regards to bugs that Samba 2.2.2 will trigger on Windows 2000.  I
mean perhaps whatever it is that Samba 2.2.1a and 2.2.2 do that Windows
Explorer on Windows 2000 doesn't like, maybe that same thing will cause
some other unexpected behaviour for other applications besides Windows
Explorer running on Windows 2000.

For the benefit of those who may not have read my original post see below:

Thankyou for reading,
Tom Schaefer
UNIX Administrator
University of Missouri Saint Louis