Printer shows up before it is defined!

Hal Vaughan hal at flightsoffancyfilms.com
Mon Nov 26 15:06:04 GMT 2001

This may be a glitch/bug/feature unto itself, or it may relate to the
problem I've been having with getting Win2k SP2 to print to a printer on Samba.

I have just created a new, clean install of Mandrake 8.1.  Then I updated
CUPS from 1.1.10 to 1.1.11.  I updated Gimp-print from 4.1.99b2 to
4.2.0.  I am using Samba 2.2.1a, directly from the Mandrake 8.1
install.  The printer is an Epson Stylus C60, but I don't think that is
effecting the problem.

After the clean install, this is ALL I have done:
- Setup DNS with named
- Setup NFS to share a few directories
- Setup NIS
- Copy over old passwd and smbpasswd files from previous config
         (to save having to rejoin domain, etc.)
- Upgraded the programs/services as stated above.

Then I ran SWAT and changed the workgroup and netbios name to reflect the
machine name and the lan name.  I added 2 fileshares and restarted
Samba.  At this point, even though I am using CUPS and Samba will use
lpstat instead of printcap, I have NOT added the printer.  It shows up in
SWAT, with the * to show it's from printcap or lpstat.  Now I go to a Win2k
SP2 box, go through local network windows to reach the server.  I open it
and get the "data" and "server" shares, the correct home share for my user
name, but I ALSO get the printer share -- and I haven't defined it
yet!  The name of the printer isn't anywhere in the file!

Since I'm having so much trouble printing to the printer from Win2k SP2
boxes, I'm wondering if somehow something besides the smb.conf file is
defining this printer share and all the changes I've been making haven't
been seen by Win2k because it's getting the printer share definition from
elsewhere.

Any ideas why the share shows up even when it's not defined?  Could this
effect why Win2k cannot print or access the printer?

Thanks!

Hal

"To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under the sun."