Thoughts

Kevin Riley kevin.riley at marquette.edu
Mon Nov 26 11:50:05 GMT 2001

To whom it may concern:

I am a computer engineering student at Marquette University.  I have a
lot of ideas for Operating systems and applications, but due to my
limited knowledge, they are lying dorment in my head.  If there is
someone that I can bounce some ideas off so that they can actually
accomplish it, this would be great.

This may sound weird, someone with good ideas but limited know-how.
The reason is I am a quick learner and listen to a lot of people.  Some
ideas come to me and as I discuss them with people, I make them more
viable.  The problem is, having never done anything like it, I wouldn't
know where to start.

I have both hardware ideas and software ideas.  I don't know if anyone
on the samba team would deal with hardware, but I'm just throwing that
out.

One of my favorite ideas was an Os that managed Os's.  This might be in
production because it is a great idea and it just seems like it's going
to happen soon.  Some issues would be with virtual machines and os
handling.  The end product would have Os's viewable as if the were
applications.  You could switch from one to another as easily as you
would with any normal applications.  There would have to be one work
horse Os that is the base for all the other Os's.  It would also have
to implement virtual machine thinking in order to deal with I/O.  The
base Os could have a settings kernel wich would save all the files that
are desired to be shared.  I have some other thoughts on this and I
don't wish to make this one of those huge emails people dread reading.

The reason I think this is so important is because space is offensively
cheap and more and more people are tring to dual and multi boot
(including myself).  The process now is still barbaric.  Being able to
accomplish this would open up new doors to Os, I think.  You could take
the best of different Os's and make them into one.  Also, the
advancements in virtual machines that are necessary would be wonderful.

If anyone is interested, I would love to here professionals' thoughts
on this.  If not, thank you for your time and happy coding.

Kevin