Where do SIDs come from?

Tom Crummey tom at picard.ee.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Nov 26 10:18:02 GMT 2001

Hello,

I've got a potentially major problem:

I've recently changed from samba-TNG (vintage last February) which was
working tolerably well in our environment barring a few locking problems
and the ever increasing tdb files and memory footprint.

As our number of clients has passed 150, the amount of memory used on
our Solaris server became unsustainable and I took the decision to migrate
to samba-2.2.2

Unfortunately, the domain SID changed (not the name, just the SID) which
seems to mean that I have to rejoin all my systems to the domain and
trash all my users' roaming profiles. Luckily, Win2k is giving me some
breathing space courtesy of cached passwords and profiles, but I know
its a race against time to sort these systems out before their normal
users are locked out.

Question 1 is: Does anyone know of a way to convert a user's profile
so that it will work in the changed domain? Going back to TNG is not
an option now as we have already rejoined about half our systems the
hard way and removed many cached profiles.

Question 2 is: How are the SID's made up? Could samba and samba-TNG
agree on a formula?

Tom.

 Tom Crummey, Systems and Network Manager,      EMAIL: tom at ee.ucl.ac.uk
 Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering,
 University College London,                       TEL: +44 (0)20 7679 3898
 Torrington Place,                                FAX: +44 (0)20 7388 9325
 London, UK, WC1E 7JE.