strange problems

Alexander Seitz Alexander.Seitz at fhs-hagenberg.ac.at
Mon Nov 26 07:49:55 GMT 2001

Hi all ,

i still have the problem i described some times ago but didn't get a solution.
I have several File Servers running linux and samba 2.2.2 and since i
upgraded i have a strange problems.
I have compiled samba 2.2.2 witch quota support. nothing else special.
I use samba in Domain mode.

The following problem occures:
Some of the users can't read files or directoris in their home directories.
The windows explorer gets an timeout or sometimes even crashes.
I can change in those directories in linux but when I say ls nothoing
happens. No directory listing, I can't even CONTROL C. (like samba has
locked these files)
If I type smbstatus i get soething like this:
18738  DENY_WRITE RDONLY     EXCLUSIVE+BATCH  /usr/homes/mtd99017/sep5/09sep5w.pdf   Mon Nov 26 15:12:17 2001
But the file is not longer in use by the user, in fact the user has logged of the system some time ago, but samba still maintains the file as locked.
As soon as I stop samba and start it again the files are accessible again.
But sometimes I can't even stop samba, not even with kill -9.
I have to reboot the machine and everything works perfect for maybe two days
the the same happens.

I have the following config:  Kernel 2.2.4 SuSE 7.2  Samba 2.2.2 compiled
with --with-quotas
Server is a PII 400 Mhz, 512 MB, 80 GB RAID 5 with Mylex DAC960

any help would be appreciated

My smb.conf looks like that:  (its the same on all servers exept name and
shares)

[global]
   workgroup = FHS-HAGENBERG
   encrypt passwords = yes