What am I missing here?

WebGuardian webguardian at safepointetech.com
Sun Nov 25 15:07:03 GMT 2001

Hello Alex,

If you are able to see the shares and the files they contain, then Samba
is functioning properly. I think the issue you are experiencing is a
permission related one. You need to make sure that your users have
read/write access to the directories on your Linux/Unix Box.

One other point, as you may know, Linux/Unix handle file permissions
vary differently than Windows. If you create a file and place it on your
share, as it stands now, you will be the only one that has access to it.
If you want to allow others to access files and directories that you
create, then you should set up file and directory masks to assign global
permissions.

If you are new to Linux / Samba, I found a book that has been invaluable
to me, "Samba Essentials For Windows Administrators" written by Gary
Wilson. I got it at bookpool.com and it has been a real life saver for
me. By the way, it's new, so it covers domain controllers under W2K
environments.

I hope this helps.

Bruce P. Morin