Win2k Printing Problem

Hal Vaughan hal at flightsoffancyfilms.com
Sun Nov 25 09:04:03 GMT 2001

I have a problem with Windows 2000 (SP2) printing to an Epson C60 on a
Linux server (running Mandrake 8.1 and Samba 2.2.2 with Cups 1.1.12).  I've
scoured the net and posts on Usenet have not yielded any helpful response.

I have 2 Win2k boxes and they both respond differently, but neither is
printing.  I've installed the printer on both boxes.  On one I get a
"unable to connect" error from the Win2k Printer Queue window and every
time I print a test page, I get "unable to create a print job."  (The
lights on the hub blink to show the Win2k box and server communicate, but
there are no error messages at log level 2 -- there are so many messages at
log level 3 with it giving a continual stream of messages, but I cannot
find error messages at log level 3 that apply to the printer.)

The other box can read the queue and print test pages, but is not printing
other pages from other programs.

Right now I've replaced the print command with a copy command and a touch
command to help me w/ troubleshooting.  The printer has been tested with
CUPS and does work.

I've tried using HOSTS ALLOW = and setting PRINTER ADMIN =, but they don't
help.  (When I use HOSTS ALLOW, I don't but a $ on the end of the host
name, right?)

The threshloc in the conf file is a local group.  I'm logged into both
computers with the same user name and the user is in threshloc.  Even
though I have a PRINT$ share set up, I'm still not clear how to set up the
drives in the share and I'm not sure that would help, since I have drivers
installed and that was no problem.

Would it work better if I set it up to use the drivers on the Linux box
instead of client side drivers?  Is there a compatibility problem using the
Linux drivers for material coming from Win2k boxes?

Any help is appreciated.  I've been on this for a week and have not found
anything helpful in searches and have not received suggestions on
posts  (actually 1 suggestion that lead to adding the valid user parameter,
which does not seem to help.)

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

The smb.conf file is included below.

Hal

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from UNKNOWN (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2001/11/22 18:20:34
# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = THRESH.LAN
         netbios name = WOGGLEBUG
         server string = Samba Server %v
         encrypt passwords = Yes
         log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
         max log size = 50
         printcap name = lpstat
         add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -c
'Machine Account' -s /bin/false -M %u
         logon path = \%M\%U
         logon drive = H
         domain logons = Yes
         os level = 33
         dns proxy = No
         wins support = Yes
         path = /var/spool/samba/
         create mask = 0777
         directory mask = 0777
         printing = cups
         printer name = EpsonC60
         log level = 2
[homes]
         comment = Home Directories
         read only = No
         browseable = No
[printers]
         comment = All Printers
         path = /var/spool/samba
         valid users = @threshloc
         create mask = 0700
         guest ok = Yes
         printable = Yes
         printing = Cups
#       print command = lpr-cups -P %p -oraw %s -r # using client side
printer drivers.
         print command = cp %s /home/freeall/%p.tst ; rm %s ; touch
/var/spool/samba/Tested
         use client driver = Yes
         browseable = No
[EpsonC60]
         comment = Epson Stylus C60 General Purpose printer
         printable = Yes
         printing = Cups
         valid users = @threshloc
         path = /var/spool/samba
         guest ok = Yes
#       print command = lpr-cups -P %p -oraw %s -r # using client side
printer drivers.
         print command = cp %s /home/freeall/%p.tst ; rm %s ; touch
/var/spool/samba/Tested
         use client driver = Yes
[print$]
         comment = Printer Drivers
         path = /usr/local/samba/printers
         guest ok = yes
         browseable = yes
         read only = yes
         write list = root
[data]
         comment = Data file share and server for thresh.lan
         path = /thresh/data
         read only = No
         inherit permissions = Yes
[server]
         comment = Program/file server for thresh.lan
         path = /thresh/server
         read only = No
         inherit permissions = Yes

"To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under the sun."