Linux and Windows NT

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Fri Nov 23 07:49:54 GMT 2001

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Shawn Stephen wrote:

> If I wanted to set up a single Linux workstation on a Windows NT-based
> network, should I use Samba? If not, then how would I go about doing it?

Samba can make your machine visible to the NTs in the browse lists. It can
allow access to your files. It can be a PDC, but I suspect you don't want
that. It can be a domain member.

If you only want to access the others you can also use tools provided with
samba. smbclient allows ftp-style access to servers and allows printing to
NT printers. smbmount allows you to mount smbfs and get a filesystem view
of servers.

But none of this is necessary to be on the network. Only if you want to
see or be seen.

/Urban