NT4 IP stack failure under heavy load when using smbfs

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Fri Nov 23 07:41:37 GMT 2001

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Landkreis Unterallgäu - EDV wrote:

> tried unison. Unison is to slow and to buggy. Then i tried samba (smbfs). It
> is a fast and reliable solution. It seemed to be ...

Please don't blame smbfs if your NT crashes. Even if smbfs does send a
"smb-of-death" ...

> Next morning (today) i had the same problem, this time with another server.
> I did some tests with our HP Procurve switches, they work correctly. I tried
> excessively to copy large (2G) files between the NT servers, everything
> fine. Then i tried to copy such files from a mounted NT share to the linux
> box and evey 10th try the IP stack or whatever on the NT box crashed
> completely without any errors or messages or something else. The box behaves
> like unpluged from the network.

You could try replacing the NIC with a different brand/model as it could
be a NIC hardware problem too.

> I have no idea why this happens except that NT is from microsoft and intel
> is inside:-)
>
> Do you have a better idea?

Does a http or ftp server on the NT work better?
(ncftpget is nice for scripting ftp downloads on the linux side)

/Urban