Performance problem with combination Samba / Windows 98 Explorer

Wolfgang Fritz wolfgang.fritz at datentechnik.com
Thu Nov 22 22:28:01 GMT 2001

"Gerald (Jerry) Carter" wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Arno de Greef wrote:
>
> > Dear reader,
> >
> > A few days ago I have installed Suse Linux 7.1 with Samba. Soon I was able
> > to connect from a windows 98 workstation to the linux machine using samba.
> > After testing I found that the server was functioning great, however when I
> > copy files to the samba share using the windows explorer the performance is
> > about 25% of the performance I get when I copy the same files to the same
> > share on the same machine using a command-line instruction.
> > I've searched the internet trying to find out if this is a known problem. I
> > found that the problem is being discussed on a few sites, however nobody
> > seems to be able to give a reason or a solution for this problem.
>
> Sounds like a known bug.  Upgrade to 2.2.2.

Can you give some information about this bug please? Maybe it gives me a
hint for my similar problem here: When I copy from a W2000 PC to the
Samba server using the W2K explorer, I get very good performance in the
same range as copying to a NT server, but when I use Windows Commander
instead, the speed goes down to about 1/10. The same copy to a NT server
runs with full speed.

I found this problem with 2.2.1, but upgrading to 2.2.2 did not help.

Most strangely: If I start ethereal or tcpdump on the samba server to
watch the net traffic, the copy speed with win commander goes up to full
speed.

Wolfgang