2.2.2: [homes] + nis problem

anders at barbanet.com anders at barbanet.com
Thu Nov 22 07:49:04 GMT 2001

Hello

I have problem with the [homes] section on a HP-UX 11 machine, with Samba
2.2.2 and config like this:

[homes]
    comment = Home Directory
    guest ok = no
    browseable = no
    read only = no
    create mask = 0750

The share \\sambaserver\userid doesn't exist ("The network name cannot be
found"), but \\sambaserver\nobody exists, and contains the homedir of
'userid'.
The users are imported from a NIS-server by the following line in
/etc/passwd:
+::-2:-2:::

-2 is the uid of nobody, but the mysterious thing is that it worked with
samba 2.2.1a....

I have also tried a config like this:

[%U]
    comment = Home Directory
    guest ok = no
    browseable = yes
    read only = no
    create mask = 0750
    path = %H

Now the \\sambaserver\userid is shown when browsing, but i get the same
error "The network name cannot be found" when trying to access it.

Does anyone have a clue???

(Client NT4 and W2K)

Please CC on replies, since I'm not subscribed to this list.

--
/Anders Westrup <anders at barbanet.com>