Query with Samba 2.0.7

brett.green brett.green at gmaccc.co.uk
Thu Nov 22 05:37:02 GMT 2001

Hello

I'm currently having a small problem with Samba 2.0.7 and I wondered if
I could run the problem by you, unfortunately I'm new to Samba and my
knowledge is currently  fairly limited...

The problem.....

I have a Sun server running Solaris2.7 and Samba 2.0.7. On this server I
have a directory that contains a file, the permissions are set as
follows....

        drwxr-xr-x     permstest
                rwxrwxrwx    file1

Under unix with permissions set as above I can log into the system as a
"normal" user and edit and save the above file.  But I'm unable to
create or delete any files within the permstest directory, this is what
I want to happen.

But if I try access the file via NT (MSword etc ) I can edit the file
but I'm unable to save any changes.  I receive an error that reads .....

"Cannot save `G:\itdept\permstest\file1'. The file is marked as read
only"

What I am trying to achieve is, a "normal" user can log into his/hers NT
box and be able to edit all files in the above directory via there G
(wrkgrps) drive but they will not be unable to create or delete any
files. Obliviously if I change the directory permissions to 757 this
would solve the editing part but would allow users to create and delete
files in this area.  From a unix point of things everything works ok
with the current permissions that I have set.  But when the file is
edited via the Samba drive the permission problem occurs.

Is there a way round this ???

Some G drive details and global parameters follow...

NB.  The G drive points to the "wrkgrps" share in the /etc/smb.conf.

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = BNY-INTL
        server string = Samba Server 2.0.7