Connecting to servers via IP

Laurence Anderson l.d.anderson at warwick.ac.uk
Thu Nov 22 01:25:02 GMT 2001

On Wednesday 21 November 2001 11:31 pm, you wrote:
> I think you have an odd combination of options.
> When I try this, it goes right to the ip number, ignoring -L. However, if
> the -L option is not present, the command fails.

<snip>

> > I'm trying to list the shares on a server outside my subnet using the
> > following command:
> >
> > smbclient -I 10.1.1.10 -L oemcomputer
> >
> > The computers IP is 10.1.1.10. Why does it go looking on broadcast for
> > oemcomputer and not finding it instead of connecting to the IP like I
> > told it?

It is a weird combination, but basically I want to see all the shares
available on a computer not on my network. Thats why I was using the -L
option, which needs the name of the computer.

Another question - If I have the NetBIOS name of a computer on another
network how can I resolve it to an IP if there are no WINS servers? If I know
a host or master on that network can I ask that? I've been fiddling with
nmblookup with no luck!

Thanks,

Laurence