max. no of files(again)

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Wed Nov 21 17:21:03 GMT 2001

You did say any comments welcome:
I'll put in my 2 cents. File corruption comes up on the list and I haven't
seen a good explanation for it.
If you use oplocks, on by default, windows caches the files. A nonwindows
program on the samba server can access that file, without going through samba, and
windows will never know it. That may cause file corruption.
I don't know if NFS and samba play well together, either.
Also, some programs may not lock files. Paint doesn't in windows, so more than one
person can edit an image file simultaneously from different clients. So, the
application may allow for file corruption.