Very Slow Transfers from Win2K to Linux over Samba

Steve Lee maillist at blitzen.net
Wed Nov 21 13:58:40 GMT 2001

I just had this problem.  The way i troubled shooted my problem
was to use my windows machine to ftp into the samba server
and see the raw transfer rate.  I only got a 60k/s.  Then
i rebooted into Linux ( dual boot ) and got 3 MB/s.  I then realized
that the drivers for Windows 2000 for my nic sucked or the nic it self
(SMC).  Luckily i had an Intel Pro 10/100 and put that in.  My goodness.
i ftp from my windows 2000 server to Samba ( 1200Kb/s ).  Whooo Hooaa.
Before that i also did some more measurements from my other machines
at home, and did all the recommended tuning, nothing worked  until
i changed out the nic.