help - smbclient works: smbmount doesn't

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Nov 21 10:50:23 GMT 2001

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Parker, Chris wrote:

> Naturally, you tinker around with stuff long enough and you break it.

That's why people take backups of their working configs ...

> Then I spent time trying to reconfigure my kernel so that I could attach a
> floppy tape drive and now I can connect with smbclient to the share, but I
> cannot with smbmount.  I have verified that smbfs is selected in the kernel
> config.  Is there anything else that anyone can think of that I could have
> botched up?  I have already tried reinstalling samba as well.

What Joel said, tell us what errors you get.

If the smbmount log looks ok, check what's in the kernel logs (or dmesg).

Beyond having smbfs working, you need smbmount linked as /sbin/mount.smbfs
if you use mount to mount, and you need smbmnt in a place where smbmount
can find it (in your path or in the samba installations "bindir").

/Urban