printing through netbios alias

Robert Walk rlwalk at chartermi.net
Wed Nov 21 07:19:51 GMT 2001

Hi,

We are trying to set up a print server for our Windows domain on Samba
2.2.2 and Red Hat 7.1. It was decided to use a netbios alias for the
print server so that it would be easier to move in the future if the
need arised.  From now on the actual netbios name will be reffered to as
"server" and the alias as "alias".  This solution has worked well on
Win9x clients, however not on WinNT/2K.  The problem is that the NT/2K
machines "see" the printer as being connected to the real netbios name
of the Samba server.  Thus they cannot find the Samba Printer Port
associated with the netbios alias name.  When browsing to "alias"
through network neighborhood, going into the printers folders and
pulling up the properties it reads at the top "Laserjet on Server
Properties" when it should be "Laserjet on Alias Properties".  No
printers show up when browsing to "server".  The printer does install
and it will print, however when going to the Ports tab in the printer
properties no Samba Printer Port is listed.  Also the status of the
printer is "Access denied, unable to connect". Of course everthing works
just fine when the printers are shared without the alias but I am
stubborn fool and want it to work my way!!

I am appending my smb.conf and smb.conf.alias (the smb.conf.server file
exists but is currently blank).  Any help or suggestions will be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you

Rob Walk

smb.conf

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = mygroup
        netbios name = server
        netbios aliases = alias
        server string = Samba Server
        interfaces = 192.168.1.253
        security = DOMAIN
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        password server = PDC
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 0
        name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
        time server = Yes
        show add printer wizard = No
        add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser %u
        os level = 0