Samba won't allow PC connections

Ben Griffith bgriffit at email.unc.edu
Wed Nov 21 06:22:02 GMT 2001

OK,

Here are some new and interesting details.

I am still using the same smb.conf file that I posted earlier.

When I ping my server by netbios name, the response in a DOS box is:

pinging netbiosname.domain [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] blah blah.

The netbios name resolves properly to the server IP and the ping goes
through as anticipated. When I do:

net view //netbiosname

I get the Error 5: do not have proper privlidges, bad password, blah blah.

When I do net view //xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx I get the listing of services that
are hosted by samba on my server. ??!

After seeing this I added a printer using -[//netbiosname/service]-. This
was rejected, asking for a password all the time. If the printer is added
as -[//xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/service]- then the connection is made and I can
print. Interestingly enough, after adding one printer in this ip-based
format, I can now access all of the other services using
-[//netbiosname/service]-.

If I remove the printer that is added using the IP address, all of the
other services are not available any more. To me this seems like something
that is not samba based but somewhere in the network like PDC, WINS, DNS
even? My guess is WINS since I can ping the machine and the ip resolves
properly. At any rate, I am going to chat with the network honchos and see
what they think. Thanks for all of the advise and tips.

	--Ben--

Ben Griffith
Assistant Network Admin.
bgriffit at email.unc.edu