Connection problems from NT

Mike Whorley Mike.Whorley at coda.com
Wed Nov 21 02:25:02 GMT 2001

All,

I have just installed Samba on a Solaris 8 server and am trying to share two
unix directories to an NT domain. The smb.conf file is set up as follows :-

[spain]/usr/local/samba/lib $ more smb.conf
 [global]
   workgroup = coda
   username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/users.map
   hosts equiv = /etc/hosts.equiv
 [build]
   comment = autobuild
   path = /users/osproc/autobuild
   public = yes
   writable = yes
 [source]
   comment = autosource
   path = /users/osproc/autosource
   public = yes
   writable = yes

However I cannot map a drive to these shares from a dos box on an NT
workstation where I get the following error (ignore the space after \\ i
used it to avoid hyperlinks been created in the mail) :-

C:\>net use t: \\ spain\source
The password is invalid for \\ spain\source

Type the password for \\ spain\source
System error 1240 has occurred.

The account is not authorized to login from this station. (I've tried using
my NT account password and several different Unix account passwords - all
fail)

Locally on the Unix host I can use smbclient to list the share information
:-

[spain]/$ ./smbclient -L spain
added interface ip=10.x.x.x bcast=10.x.x.x nmask=255..x.x.x
Password:
Domain=[CODA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.2]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        build          Disk      autobuild
        source         Disk      autosource
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba 2.2.2)
        ADMIN$         Disk      IPC Service (Samba 2.2.2)

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        CODA                 DC-HAR-CODA0
        CSD                  CGB00559
        PBCLAB               CGB00784
        SPAIN                SPAIN
        TRAINUK              UK-T9951

Again locally on the server I can connect to the share using smbclient

I[spain]/$ ./smbclient //spain/source
added interface ip=10.x.x.x bcast=10.x.x.x nmask=255.x.x.x
Password:
Domain=[CODA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.2]
smb: \>

Browsing in Network neighbourhood I can see 'spain' as a workgroup but as
soon as I click on it I simply get 'Spain is not accessible'
'The account is not authorized to login from this station'

I have set up users.map with one entry :-

guest = *

Can anyone offer any advice as to why NT seems to be preventing me from
connecting ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mike.