smbpasswd -r pdd not working

John Rosauer jar at rmb.com.au
Wed Nov 21 00:48:30 GMT 2001

Hi,

I am running Samba 2.2.1 on a Redhat 7.2 machine and have the following
in smb.conf:

        workgroup = AGS_NT
        security = domain
        password server = mocha bigblue
        encrypt passwords = yes

everything else is default.  "mocha" is the PDC and is a NT4 box".
The machine has joined the domain with "smbpasswd -j AGS_NT".

When using "smbpasswd -f mocha" is fails:

$ smbpasswd -D 3 -r mocha
Unknown parameter encountered: "ssl CA certFile"
Ignoring unknown parameter "ssl CA certFile"
added interface ip=203.6.254.187 bcast=203.6.254.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
not adding duplicate interface 203.6.254.187
Old SMB password:
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name mocha<0x20>
resolve_hosts: Attempting host lookup for name mocha<0x20>
Connecting to 203.6.254.102 at port 139
machine mocha rejected the password change: Error was : User has insufficient privilege.
Failed to change password for johnr

The password is correct and the accounts on NT are set up to allow
password changing.

On the NT machine in the Event Security Log an event with an icon
of a little padlock appears with the USER field of ANONYMOUS!
I have straced the system calls and I can see the string "johnr"
inside a packet being sent to "mocha".

This used to work some time ago.  It also happens on a machine
running 2.0.7.

I have searched for this problem and discovered it has been reported
in a few mailing lists and newsgroups but there's never a reply :(

Please help, I'm really stuck.

regards,
john
John Rosauer, Senior Systems Administrator   email:    jar at rmb.com.au
RMB Australia Limited                        business: +61 2 9251 4177
Level 5, Underwood House, 37-49 Pitt Street  fax:      +61 2 9256 6246
Sydney, 2000, Australia                      cell:     +61 414 580 723