Problem printing from NT to printer attached to LInux box

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Tue Nov 20 23:09:02 GMT 2001

You need 2 spool directories: one for samba, on for your lpd: Samba
recives the print-file, stores it in it's own printer spool directory
and then issues the unix print command to print the file. In most
cases the file is copied to the lpd spool directory by lpd and if the
unix print command is successfull, the file is removed form the samba
spool directory by samba. Once lpd has printed the file, it clears
it's spool dirctory.

Note:
This is the principle. Depending on its options, lpd may symlink the
file to its spool directory, lpd may delete the file in the samba
spool directory, ... lock at the options of your lpr command.

Remark:
"file" above is NOT my_word_documet.doc, but a file containing the
data to be printed, which is postscript if you use a postscript
printer.

see below

> I installed Samba 2.2.2 on my Linux box. The smb.conf file is as shown
> below. The permission on /var/spool/lpd/lp is set to 755; ie, it is
> writable only by the owner, which is lp. With the setup as is, when I
> try to print from the NT machine, the smb log on the Linux box
> indicates the following error: " print_job_start: insufficient
> permissions to open spool file /var/spool/lpd/lp".
> If I set the permission on /var/spool/lpd/lp to 777, I can
> print; however, for obvious security concerns, this solution is
> undesirable.
>
> Could someone inform me as to what is the correct way to set things up
> to allow printing from my NT machine without making /var/spool/lpd/lp
> writable by all. My smb.conf file is shown below.
>
> [global]
>    netbios name = bert
>    workgroup = WORKGROUP
>    hosts allow = 10.10.10. 127.
>    load printers = yes
>    max log size = 50
>    security = server
>    password server = 10.10.10.8
>    socket options = TCP_NODELAY
>
> [printers]
>    comment = All Printers
>    path = /var/spool/lpd/lp
According to the things said above this is worng. set:
     path = /var/spool/samba
and set up /var/spool/samba with the permissions "drwxrwxrwt", change
the perimisions of /var/spool/lpd/lp back to it's original, restart
samba, try again

Christian