Locking question

Joel Hammer jhammer2 at home.com
Tue Nov 20 21:42:20 GMT 2001

Where can I read an uptodate description of samba file locking?
I ask because the text doc seems out of date (says there are no oplocks in
samba.)
Some observations about locking problems:
You can bypass samba and edit files directly in linux, even though they are
locked by a windows application via samba. Could this cause data corruption.
Is this an argument against using NFS with samba? If you are careful and
always use samba to call up such files, then locking seems to work.
Some applications, like paint, don't lock the file, thereby allowing
multiple users to edit the file simulataneously. Is there a way to stop
this using samba?
Thanks,
Joel