Problem: requested 10000 open files, 1014 are available ??

geoff at centrifugepartners.com geoff at centrifugepartners.com
Tue Nov 20 15:19:02 GMT 2001

Hi, I am new to this list, and am really stumped on this issue with my samba
servers. I woould really appreciate some help.

Question:
I am having the same type of issue. I was copping a huge set of files over
to my samba server, and now, neither server works.

Servers:
1) RH 7.1 running Samba, SSH, HTTPD
2) RH 7.1 running Samba, SSH, HTTPD

The file trasfer crashed due to lack of space on both machines, and when I
woke, neither server wants to be seen using any type of file sharing. After
clearing up the hard disk, because it dumped all the files I was copping
over into / after the dest. partition was full, I tried samba again. I am
getting the "requested 10000 open files, only 1014 available." error in the
samba log. Under a port scan, it shows netbios-ssn working, so that's
available and there.

I made sure lokkit was set to no firewall, and then even uninstalled it.

Any ideas? I have been pounding away at this for 4 days now, and am going
insane.

Thanks,
-geoff

Exact Error:
[2001/11/20 01:12:04, 1] smbd/files.c:file_init(215)
  file_init: Information only: requested 10000 open files, 1014 are
available.
samba at lists.samba.org

[Start Signature]
rm -rf /bin/laden