Unicode? Diacriticals

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at samba.org
Tue Nov 20 07:54:04 GMT 2001

Thomas Moy wrote:
>I just got 2.2.2 setup on a Mac OSX machine using the Samba X from the
>SourceForge project.  Testing showed great performance, but clients can't
>access files with diacriticals in the filenames.  I couldn't find anything
>on how to do this with the provided configuration tool, but wonder if
>there's a way to do so directly in Samba. (?)

Mac OS X uses UTF-8 as its encoding method and uses Unicode 3.0 with
NFD as its character set.

NFD is one of Normalization Form:
  http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr15/

The implementation of "coding system = UTF8" on Samba 2.2.x is based
on Unicode 2.0 and does not know Normalization Form.

If you are interested in it, please try Samba 2.0.10 Japanese Edition
from http://ftp.samba.gr.jp/pub/samba-jp/samba-2.0.10-ja/, which has
Normalization Form feature.

-----
TAKAHASHI, Motonobu(monyo)         monyo at samba.org