Samba won't allow PC connections

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Tue Nov 20 05:58:02 GMT 2001

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Ben Griffith wrote:

> Joel,
>
> Thanks for the config file, I will go through it at length and see
> what else I can learn. I probably should have mentioned that I did run
> through the diagnosis in the samba docs. Everything hums along fine
> until step 8 where one is supposed to try "net view \\BIGSERVER".

Try reading http://samba/org/samba/docs/Samba24c13.pdf.  See if
it helps.

> Here I get the invalid password message, when prompted to enter a password,
> I can try a valid one or just hit enter, either way Win gives me an Error
> 5: You do not have the proper rights to access this blah blah.....
>
> It is especially frustrating since I can do the same thing on a 'nix
> machine eg: smbclient -L //BIGSERVER and when prompted for the password,
> press enter and I get the list of active shares on BIGSERVER.
>
> I am continuing to hunt for the best way to do totally anonymous access for
> this. I will keep hunting on the lists and reading posts.
>
> Thanks!
>
> 	--Ben--
>
> --On Monday, November 19, 2001 5:48 PM -0500 Joel Hammer
> <Joel at HammersHome.com> wrote:
>
> | First, walk through DIAGNOSIS.txt in /doc/textdocs <---MOST IMPORTANT.
> | If that all works, below is my smb.conf which does just what you want.
> | I do not use the [printer] special share, rather, I list each printer
> | separately. This keeps things simpler. This printer definition does not
> | filter. All filtering happens on the windows boxes.
> |
> | [global]
> |         netbios name = HAMMER2
> |         interfaces = 192.168.0.2
> |         security = SHARE
Why use share level security?  If you are just looking to supprot guest
connections, try "security = user" and see the "map to guest" parameter in
smb.conf(5).

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA  Team             jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org