OH DEAR! - RE: 2.2.2 runaway SMBD process

Noel Kelly nkelly at tarsus.co.uk
Tue Nov 20 03:02:11 GMT 2001

Jeremy,

Bit of bad news - we had a another runaway SMBD.  This time profiles were
NOT involved - I was simply copying up an installation of Office2000 and
then deleting it.  It almost reached the end of the deletion when the
processor utilisation went up to 90%.  The client connection then dropped
with a 'connection is no longer available' and there is now 99% processor
utilisation on the server.  This process is now unkillable.

Do you think this is a kernel (2.2.19) issue or a Samba issue (2.2.2) ?  You
said if a process becomes unkillable then it is a kernel issue - perhaps it
is the kernel not handling the SMBD correctly ?

I'll build another machine with 2.4 and see if I can replicate the problem
again.

Noel