Print job names...

Christopher Odenbach odenbach at math.uni-paderborn.de
Tue Nov 20 00:08:08 GMT 2001

Hi,

> I'm the one who posted the message to the other thread that suggested adding
> the -J'%J' to the print command setting in smb.conf. FYI, I picked this from
> someone else on this list several months ago.
>
> I just tested to see if my print job names were being similarly truncated
> and they are not. I specifically tested printing from MS Word and all was
> OK.
>
> For comparison, I'm running Samba 2.2.1a+LDAP patch on RedHat 7.1. The
> client I test-printed from is Win2K Pro SP 2. The printer (not that it
> should matter) is an HP 5Si. Obviously, I'm using LPRng (3.7.4-22 from RPM).
>
> Can you determine if names are being truncated consistently to a specific
> length? Does printing from all clients/different client OS exhibit the same
> behavior? (Grasping at straws here)

I experience the truncating too. But I think the problem is lying in the
underlying printing subsystem.

Just look:

odenbach at robin[~]>>echo bla | lpr -J'1234567890123456789012345678901234567890'

This print job name has a length of 40 characters.

odenbach at robin[~]>>lpq
Printer: lw_sw_rbg_1_F0_113 at pooh (dest lw_sw_rbg_1_F0_113 at pooh) 'HP LaserJet 5MP in F0.113' (printing disabled)
 Queue: 1 printable job
 Server: no server active
 Rank   Owner/ID                   Class Job  Files               Size Time
1       odenbach at robin+184            A  184 12345678901234567890123 4 08:48:01

lpq just gives me the first 23 characters of the job name. This is also
the number of characters that are visible in windows - which is not very
surprising as Samba just parses the output of lpq.

So the interesting question is: How does the output of lpq look like with
a system that does not truncate the job name?

Regards,

Christopher