(forw) Help... Strip Whitespace.

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Mon Nov 19 18:11:04 GMT 2001

You sound desperate, soo...
Why does white space bother you so much?
Knowing nothing about NT, this addshare command seems to be used by NT.
Isn't this  is a script you write yourself? Since the share name is passed to the
script, why not just strip out all white space at that point after the share
name is passed? Substitute _ for the white spaces if you want. I cannot find out any
restrictions just now for share names. My samba book shows spaces in share
names at least in a few simple examples [share name] and I can get spaces to work
in share names.
I would worry about characters which might mess up samba or linux, whatever
they  might be. I have found the following
to be troublesome in linux file names in stuff I have downloaded
from the internet, but, there must be more:
()%\ and spaces. Things like tabs and newlines would also be a bother!
Also, share names longer than about 13 characters don't seem to get
truncated with 2.2.2. So, you'll have more than just white space to worry
about if windows users start creating shares on your server.
Joel