Samba won't allow PC connections

Ben Griffith bgriffit at email.unc.edu
Mon Nov 19 16:49:02 GMT 2001

Joel,

Thanks for the config file, I will go through it at length and see what
else I can learn. I probably should have mentioned that I did run through
the diagnosis in the samba docs. Everything hums along fine until step 8
where one is supposed to try "net view \\BIGSERVER".

Here I get the invalid password message, when prompted to enter a password,
I can try a valid one or just hit enter, either way Win gives me an Error
5: You do not have the proper rights to access this blah blah.....

It is especially frustrating since I can do the same thing on a 'nix
machine eg: smbclient -L //BIGSERVER and when prompted for the password,
press enter and I get the list of active shares on BIGSERVER.

I am continuing to hunt for the best way to do totally anonymous access for
this. I will keep hunting on the lists and reading posts.

Thanks!

	--Ben--

--On Monday, November 19, 2001 5:48 PM -0500 Joel Hammer

Ben Griffith
Assistant Network Admin
bgriffit at email.unc.edu