Win2k-->Linux-->Epson777

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Mon Nov 19 15:03:07 GMT 2001

Just a few ideas.
As far as I know, windows does all the print filtering. The only
exception is postscript. linux/samba can process a postscript file from windows
(created using a postscript filter definition). If the printer is
postscript, it can be just dumped to the printer, but, if the printer is not
postscript, linux could filter the postscript job for you.
I would first try to install the proper printer definition in windows, and
send your print jobs to samba to a raw print filter, ie, one that just dumps
the job to the printer. This is usually called lp on the linux box and is
the preferred way of doing this sort of thing. If the problem is
installing the Epson driver files on windows, you could bypass that by
choosing a postscript printer definition in windows, and then sending that
job to the filtering print queue on linux, usually call ps.
You say linux prints pefectly to this printer. Have you tried text files as
well as postscript files (postscript is generated from most linux software,
including netscape.)  Text file require enscript, which postscript files do
not.
N.B. I have found that the test page you print after installation is sent to the
raw queue, not the filtered queue, so a test page may print but nothing
else will.
Joel