Samba won't allow PC connections

Ben Griffith bgriffit at email.unc.edu
Mon Nov 19 12:54:07 GMT 2001

Hello list,

I am at the hair pulling stage of this game right now. Having read through
many of the posts, I still seem to be unable to get my samba server to
allow anonymous connections ( or any connections for that matter ) from
windows machines.

All I want to do is have printers and one folder shared, all as guest
accessable. I have made the security level = share and made the shares
guest ok = yes. I am only restricting access based on IP with the hosts
allow = option. ( Although with this off, there are still no connections
that I can make from a windows machine ).  The guest account is nobody.
Using smbclient from a linux machine, I can login as anybody ( since it
will default to guest when it does not recognize the username ) and see
all of the printers and the disk share. From a windows machine, I always
get the enter password dialogue for connection to the $IPC share. No
matter what I put in here it never allows connections. I have tried
security = user setup as well and that did not get me any closer.

Any help or suggestion is welcome. I have included the smb.conf file
below. TIA.
-[ smb.conf ]-

#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
  workgroup = MYWKGRP
  netbios name = mynetbiosname

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
  server string = Print Server

# This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
# connections to machines which are on your local network. The
# following example restricts access to two C class networks and
# the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
# the smb.conf man page
  hosts allow = xxx.xxx.xx. 127.

# if you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
  printcap name = /etc/printcap
  load printers = yes

# It should not be necessary to spell out the print system type unless
# yours is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
# bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx
  printing = cups

# Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to
/etc/passwd
# otherwise the user "nobody" is used
  guest account = nobody
  guest ok = yes

# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
  log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
  log level = 2

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
  max log size = 50

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
  security = share

# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
# via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
# this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
  dns proxy = no

==============================
# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   public = yes
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes