samba as local master browser does not supply a list

Phil Chambers P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk
Mon Nov 19 07:37:05 GMT 2001

I am new to samba and have searched the list archive before sending to this list.  I
found lots of messages relating to browse problems, but none seemed to match mine.

I have samba 2.2.2 on a IRIX system and I can access shares OK using it.  However if
I let samba become the local master browser then all the machines in the workgroup
show blank lists in the network neighborhood.  If I look at the var/locks/browse.dat
file it contains all the information I would expect.  "nmblookup -M wrkgrp" lists my
samba system as the master browser.  The problem is that samba does not want to hand
this information to the other clients on the network.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Phil.