samba under Mandrake 7.2 with Windows98

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Sun Nov 18 20:23:04 GMT 2001

I found this nugget in the docs/textdocs directory in the samba sources
download by:
for i in *;do echo $i; strings $i | grep calling;done | less
in Recent-FAQs.txt
It would be worth it to get the samba source, just to get the documentation
that is with it for troubleshooting.

Start of the nugget from Recent-FAQs.txt
Not listening for calling name
==============================

> Session request failed (131,129) with myname=HOBBES destname=CALVIN
> Not listening for calling name

If you get this when talking to a Samba box then it means that your
global "hosts allow" or "hosts deny" settings are causing the Samba
server to refuse the connection.

Look carefully at your "hosts allow" and "hosts deny" lines in the
global section of smb.conf.

It can also be a problem with reverse DNS lookups not functioning
correctly, leading to the remote host identity not being able to
be confirmed, but that is less likely.
==========End of Nugget===============================

I just tested this advice.
If I try smbclient -L NoSuchHost, I don't get this error message.
If I tamper with my hosts allow statment, then this error appears.
And, nmbclient -2 * (whatever that does) shows me the server, despite the
bad hosts allow parameter.
So, this might be the answer.
Note: After you change your smb.conf statement, to make samba reread it
right away, you don't have to restart smbd. Just:
ps ax | grep smbd and find the first pid of smbd and
kill -1 pid
Use smbstatus to make sure that this pid is not attached to any connection.
The nice thing is that once you know the pid of the original smbd, it
doesn't change until you restart smbd. This make fooling around with
smbd.conf much easier.
Joel