Need some advice please.

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sun Nov 18 09:28:02 GMT 2001

Hi,
I am looking for a solution to the following problem. We currently have
a mixed network of Linux, NT4 servers/workstations, win9x, and
W2K workstations in an NT4 domain with an NT4 machine acting as a PDC.
We slowly migrating the NT4 server functions to Linux as much as possible.
We would like to set up samba as the DC and take the NT4 DC off line.

The question is what is the best way to to do this so that once everything
is converted we only have to maintain passwds/usernames on 1 machine.
Is samba + ldap a viable solution? Would it be better/possible to run
samba as a DC on one machine and use winbind on the other linux boxes
to auth against the samba DC? The more I read on this the more confused
I become. We currently have samba running on several linux boxes
as domain members but we would like to get away from the necessity of
having to put all of the domain users in all of the linux boxes
passwd files. This is a maintenance nightmare. If someone is using
ldap as part of this solution, I would be greatful if I could be pointed
to some good docs on setting this up. :-)

FWIW the linux boxes are or will be Redhat Linux 7.2

Suggestions, comments and even RTFM with pointers welcome. I have read
most of the stuff that comes with the samba distro but maybe I
missed something.

--
......Tom		Dysfunction The Only Consistent Feature of All
tdiehl at rogueind.com	of Your Dissatisfying Relationships is You.