smbmount and UNIX Permissions

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Sat Nov 17 05:03:04 GMT 2001

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Ashwin Kashyap wrote:

> Hi,
> I have two Linux boxes and I want to be able to mount a share from one
> machine to another.
> Even tho both are *nix m/c why are all files in the mounted directory
> marked with mode 777???

The permissions are basically made up by smbfs. If you give it a
fmask/dmask when mounting it will use those, eg fmask=0777 makes all files
be 0777, and the permissions on the other end are not relevant except when
actually trying to write something.

What you are doing is similar to copying all your files from ext2 to vfat
and then back to ext2. (Permissions? Yeah, right ...)

When the kernel support for ACLs are in place perhaps smbfs will improve
in this regard.

Or if someone implements the unix extensions to SMB for both samba and
smbfs. I believe the server side is already implemented by HP in their
Samba based CIFS/9000 server.

> I dont want to use NFS, how can I get this to work?

I think NFS is what you want. Or perhaps coda or AFS. Why SMB if you don't
have windows servers?

/Urban