2.2.2 runaway SMBD process

Noel Kelly nkelly at tarsus.co.uk
Sat Nov 17 02:00:24 GMT 2001

Hello,

I am running Samba 2.2.2 with acl-0.7.16 on RedHat 6.2 (2.2.19).  The PDC is
a Windows 2000 Server and the Samba server is a domain member using Winbind.
All the workstations are Windoze 2000 Pro with SP2.

Everything seemingly works fine but every day or two I get a runaway SMBD
process which hogs the CPU and becomes unkillable.  The only resolution is
to reboot the server completely.  This has occurred at least once when a
workstation crashed but we have not proven that this is always the case.  I
was rather hoping that it was a Windoze problem to do with not having SP2
installed but this has now been disproved.

This is a serious problem.  I have seen postings here before about disabling
OPLOCKS but am reticent to do this becasue of the drop in performance which
could put cracks in our arguments for using Samba in the first place.  Also
I thought 2.2.2 had fixes for OPLOCK bugs!

Does anyone have any suggestions other than disabling OPLOCKS ?  Even a way
of killing the runaway process would be useful at this time ("kill -9" has
no affect at all on the rogue SMBD or its children).

We could regress to a 'more stable' version but we would lose the
functionality of WINBIND which is important to this installation.

Any comments or advice much appreciated,
Noel Kelly

Output of ps ax | grep smb after all killable daemons have gone.

 2456 ?        D      0:01 /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
 2493 ?        R    1018:33 /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
 2499 ?        D      0:00 /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
 2501 ?        D      0:00 /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
 2523 ?        D      0:00 /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
 2530 ?        D      0:00 /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
 2531 ?        D      0:01 /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
 2541 ?        D      0:00 /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
 2562 ?        D      0:00 /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
 2563 ?        D      0:01 /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
 2992 pts/0    S      0:00 grep smb

SMB.conf
========

[global]
        workgroup = UK
        netbios name = BELLY
        server string = 2.2.2 Samba Server
        load printers = yes
        print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -r %s
        invalid users = root bin uucp sys
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes

        os level = 0
        preferred master = False
        local master = No
        domain master = False

        security = domain
        password server = BRAIN
        smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
        debug level = 1

        wins server = 192.168.5.4
        name resolve order = wins host bcast

        winbind uid = 10000-20000
        winbind gid = 10000-20000
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes
        winbind separator = +
        #template homedir = /raid/homedrives/%U
        nt acl support = yes

        # These oplock settings increase file access dramatically but
        # we might have to negate them if we experience run away smbd
 	  # processes
        oplocks = yes
        level2 oplocks = yes

[printers]