Unable to print correctly html on Windows Printer (SMB) Share

Joel Hammer jhammer2 at home.com
Fri Nov 16 18:06:24 GMT 2001

This is a print filter which, believe it or not, seems to work. The only
problem is that is seems to leave the control files in your print queue
directory. Not sure why but....
#!/bin/sh
enscript -M Letter -Z -p - |  \
gs -sDEVICE=cdj550 -q -sOutputFile=- - | \
smbclient \\\\jhammer6\\test -c 'print -' -N
exit 0

jhammer6 is my printer server, can be a windows or a samba box, I think.
test is the printer share.

enscript takes the file, and converts it to postscript if necessary.
gs takes the postscript file and, using device cdj550 (hope this works for
your printer. This is the nearest device I could find on my RH 7.1 box for
your printer, but there may be better devices. gs -h will show them all) and converts
it into a format your printer will like.
smbclient sends the file to the appropriate server and share.
Simple, yes?
Make an entry in your printcap file (you'll lose it if you run the GUI
again on it) like this:

test:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/test:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/test/filter
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :sh:mx#0:
Then, run checkpc -f, and all the print directories will be made up for you.
Then, put the filter into the /var/spool/lpd/test directory. chmod +x the
file. (I suppose this could be a security risk. Better run checkpc -f again
after you do this.)
Then, stop and start the LPD daemon (/etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd stop and start
Then, try a file (short one);
lpr -Ptest filename
Now, wasn't that simple and educational?