Office 2000 Problems for users designated "Domain User"

Doug Douglass samba at denverdata.com
Fri Nov 16 09:48:01 GMT 2001

Patrick,

Is Office/Word installed locally on each client? If so, who/what kind of
user installed Office, a local Administrator?

I've seen problems with applications (Quickbooks, for one) that read/write
to restricted parts of the Registry. If the current user is either in the
local "Users" group or the "Domain Users" group, these operations fail.

Instead of having all users be "Domain Admins" (very bad idea!!!), what we
did was add the group "Domain Users" to the local "Power Users" group on
each client. The errant applications have worked fine since.

We have a small network, so going to each client and modifying the groups
wasn't a big deal. If you have a lot of clients, you may be able to resolve
the issue centrally via policies, but I'm not certain.

HTH,
Doug