Appleshare IP 6.2 and smbfs

William Mulvihill will.mulvihill at dxrgroup.com
Fri Nov 16 07:28:42 GMT 2001

Thanks.  That's the info I needed.  And thanks to everyone for
suggestions and help.  I'm probably going to just have an applescript or
folder syncing program put on the Mac server for now and make other Mac
clients just dump stuff to my netatalk share.  I will be investigating
fixing this so any info on developing samba would be helpful.  For
example, Urban Widmark told me where the relevant stuff was in
cliconnect.c.  I'll be looking at traces between Windows boxes and the
server, etc.  Thanks for your help and I hope I'll have a positive
result (not to mention the time to do it :) )for this soon.

-Will Mulvihill
On Thursday, November 15, 2001, at 04:46 PM, Jonathan Nichols wrote:

>> 	The absolute last thing I haven't tried yet is to upgrade the
>> Appleshare IP Mac to 6.3.2.  But to do that, I need to upgrade the
>> entire OS from 8.6 to 9.0.4.  While this is doable, it would be nice
>> to avoid this.  This is our main file server and I'd like to know if
>> the upgrade would definitely fix this.  Has anyone had success using
>> samba with Appleshare IP???  Anyone???  I googled the web.  No one
>> seems clear on whether this will work.  If I am asking the wrong
>> person about this, please let me know who I should direct my questions
>> to.  Thanks.
>>
> Don't bother upgrading. I saw your post, and I've been battling with it
> all day.. fyi, I have 9.1 and ASIP 6.3.3. The box works perfectly, but
> smbclient & smbmount won't talk to it.
>
> bash# smbclient -L cheese -U jnichols
> added interface ip=192.168.10.35 bcast=192.168.10.255
> nmask=255.255.255.0
> protocol negotiation failed
> bash#
>
> As root, as me.. doesn't matter.
>
> I'm going to send the query off to an Apple resource and see what he
> says...
>
> -jon
>
> QUIT

William Mulvihill, Web Master