(Fwd) samba: Samba 2.2 in Woody breaks Windows 98 Paradox/BDE

I. Forbes iforbes at zsd.co.za
Fri Nov 16 06:55:04 GMT 2001

Hello All

If somebody can help please reply to me in person as I am not
subscribed to the list.

Thanks

Ian

From:           	<ian at janus.zsd.co.za>
Subject:        	samba: Samba 2.2 in Woody breaks Windows 98 Paradox/BDE
To:             	submit at bugs.debian.org
Date sent:      	Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:11:45 +0200

Package: samba
Version: 2.2.2-1
Severity: normal

I have been serving "Paradox for Windows" from Samba based file
servers for about 4 years.  It has always been 100% reliable (but
often a bit slow). However when I upgraded to "Woody" Paradox
stopped working.  It "freezes" for about 30 seconds every time you
post or update a record - after that it recovers and the changes are
accepted.

Paradox uses the "BDE" engine which allows concurrent read/write
access to database files but individual records are locked.  It has
three files controlled by the BDE engine "PARADOX.NET"
"PDOXUSRS.LCK" "PARADOX.LCK" which control the locking.
The application will report which user has a particular record lock
and r/o, r/w and full locks can be placed on tables, much like a SQL
database.

The system works on Novell, Windows NT and all previous versions
of SAMBA.  I believe the locking code runs at application level and
is relatively independent of the OS. It may be safe to run SAMBA
with "fake locking" or "no locking" but I have not tried it.

QUESTION: What has changed between Potato Samba 2.0.7 and
Woody Samba 2.2.2 to break this? On Potato I ran a genric share
with not special options.  With Woody I have tried various
combinations of the following without improving the situation:

      strict allocate = Yes
      strict sync = Yes
      sync always = Yes
      blocking locks = No
      oplocks = No
      level2 oplocks = No
      strict locking = Yes
      dos filemode = Yes

Downgrading back to 2.0.7 fixed it again.

-- System Information
Debian Release: testing/unstable
Kernel Version: Linux janus 2.2.19 #1 Sat Oct 20 18:09:49 EST 2001 i686 unknown

Versions of the packages samba depends on:
iU  samba-common   2.2.2-1        Samba common files used by both the server a
ii  libc6          2.2.4-3        GNU C Library: Shared libraries and Timezone
ii  libcupsys2     1.1.10-4       Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - libs
ii  libpam0g       0.72-33        Pluggable Authentication Modules library
ii  logrotate      3.5.9-1        Log rotation utility
ii  netbase        4.06           Basic TCP/IP networking system

Thanks

Ian Forbes

Ian Forbes ZSD
http://www.zsd.co.za
Office: +27 +21 683-1388  Fax: +27 +21 64-1106
Snail Mail: P.O. Box 46827, Glosderry, 7702, South Africa