Problem with Automatic Printer Downloading in Samba

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Fri Nov 16 06:24:04 GMT 2001

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Karthik S wrote:

> Hello Gerald,
> 	Thanks for your support. Here are my answers to your
> queries (in all caps). Do go through them and help me out.
>
> > 	I installed Samba 2.2.1a in Linux and tried to configure it for
> > Automatic Printer Driver Downloading. While uploading the driver files
> > to the Samba Server, although all the driver files get copied to the
> > correct location and the printer gets added to CUPS, I get a message
> > "The operation could not be completed . Access Denied".
>
> Could be a buggy driver.  Which printer model is it?
>
> 	THE DRIVER DOES NOT SEEM HAVE A BUG. THE PRINTER MODEL IS
> TOSHIBA GL1010. THIS DRIVER HAS BEEN IN USE FOR QUITE SOMETIME.

What I meant was that some printer driver can be uploaded better
than others.  It is a really complex problem.  Can you upload
this same driver to an NT4/2k server?

> > 	While downloading the files, the uploaded printer is listed in
> > the "Printers"  folder. Double-clicking it prompts a message - "Do you
> > want to download the driver files from the server?". When said - "Yes"
> > to this, a message "No driver files found. Do you want to install a
> > driver locally?"
>
> There is no driver currently assigned to printer.
>
> 	DOES THIS MEAN THAT THE LPADMIN COMMAND IN ADDPRINTER SCRIPT WAS
> NOT EXECUTED SUCCESSSFULLY? BUT I DO NOT GET AN ERROR MESSAGE IN MY
> LOG FILE. ALSO, I FIND AN ENTRY OF MY SHARE NAME IN /etc/printcap
> FILE.

What I'm fairly sure ishappening is that the SetPrinter RPC is
failing to assign the driver to the printer.

> > 	But on the Windows machine, if I go to the properties of the
> > printer, click on "New Driver" and install it again on the server, NO
> > "Access Denied" message appears. After this, I am able to download the
> > driver to any other Windows client.
>
> Dunno.  Need more information.
>
> 	ON A WINDOWS MACHINE, I TRIED TO DOWNLOAD THE PRINTER BY
> DOUBLE-CLICKING THE PRINTER ENTRY IN THE SAMBA SERVER. I GOT THE
> MESSAGE - "Do you want to download the files now?" WHEN SAID - "Yes"
> to this, I GOT THE MESSAGE - "No driver files found. Do you want to
> install locally?". AFTER THIS, I BROWSED INSIDE THE PRINTERS FOLDER OF
> THE SAMBA SERVER. HERE, I OPENED THE PEOPERTIES PAGE OF THE PRINTER,
> CLICKED ON "New Driver" AND INSTALLED THE SAME DRIVER AGAIN. THIS
> TIME, ALL THE FILES GET COPIED AND I DO NOT GET THE ACCESS DENIED
> MESSAGE. FROM HERE ON, I AM ABLE TO DOWNLOAD THE DRIVER ON ANY WINDOWS
> MACHINE.

Send me the driver files off list and I'll will take a look at it.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA  Team             jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org
 http://www.hp.com        Hewlett-Packard