Starting Samba on the Start-UP??

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Nov 15 15:10:03 GMT 2001

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Brice Verbit wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am very new to the Redhat / Samba scene.  I need to have Samba startup
> automatically.  I am running RedHat 7.1.  Can anyone assist me with a script
> or advise?  I would appreciate it.

Please use the samba at samba.org list for posting usage questions. Or in
this case perhaps a RH user list would be an even better place.

If you are using the RH samba packages as installed with RH7.1 it should
have installed a startup script as /etc/init.d/smb. You can then start
samba manually with:
/etc/init.d/smb start

Making that automatic can be done with the chkconfig tool.

Verify that the RH tools agree that it is installed ok with:
chkconfig --list smb
It should print a line like this:
smb             0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
If it says 3:on  4:on  5:on then it should start automatically already.
If it is on but doesn't start, check the logfiles for errors. That would
probably be a misconfigured smb.conf file.

If it is not listed, try to add it with:
chkconfig --add smb

Then turn it on with:
chkconfig smb on

Finally verify that it is now on for runlevels 3, 4 and 5.
chkconfig --list smb

chkconfig manages the rc#.d dirs in /etc/rc.d, where the # refers to the
runlevel in your /etc/inittab.

'man chkconfig' for details. And perhaps also 'man init'.

/Urban