Samba + username with spaces_

Bill Grzanich organix4 at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 15 11:36:04 GMT 2001

Hi, Matt.

in the [global] section of your smb.conf, add the line:

username map = /some/filename

where /some/filename is the path to a username map file.  I have mine called /etc/smbusermap.conf.

In that file, you list the NT names and the corresponding Linux name, like this:

# Unix_name = SMB_name1 SMB_name2 ...
root = administrator admin
nobody = guest pcguest smbguest
test = "Test User"
bill = "Bill Gates"

Notice that you can have multiple NT names match to the same Linux user.  Note, too, that if the NT
names are "First Last", with that space between first and last names, you'll need the quotes around
the name.

I hope this helps.

-Bill

Original message from: "HeadTechnican @ Mathco.com"