Unable to join domain

Eric Wallace Eric.Wallace at nsc.com
Thu Nov 15 10:19:02 GMT 2001

jerry at samba.org wrote on 11/14/2001 11:34:00 PM:
> Hmm....What release do you have?  This should be in the 2.2.2
> Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf file (and in DOMAIN_MEMBER.html)

I'm referring to v2.2.2. The distinction I was suggesting is unclear is this: if you add the Samba server name in NT's Server Manager, then run "smbpasswd -j DOM -r DOMPDC -UAdministrator%password", it fails. (Presumably this is because the NT PDC wants a "null session" for syncing the machine password on a pre-created machine account, and if the session is authenticated as a domain admin it will try to create a machine account with the same name.)

The distinction could be expressed more clearly as two possible options--one quick-'n-easy one if you know the NT domain admin password, and one if you have to ask your NT admin to create the machine account for you.

	Eric W. Wallace
	National Semiconductor/Maine
	I.S. Infrastructure Sr. System Engineer
	eric.wallace at nsc.com