Appleshare IP 6.2 and smbfs

William Mulvihill will.mulvihill at dxrgroup.com
Thu Nov 15 07:11:10 GMT 2001

On Wednesday, November 14, 2001, at 05:26 PM, Urban Widmark wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, William Mulvihill wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> 	I'm having trouble connecting to an Appleshare IP 6.2 Mac that is
>> doing SMB file sharing from my RedHat Linux 7.2 box.  I've looked and
>
> Linux can (could?) be configured to talk appletalk. Perhaps that is
> easier (afpfs?)
> http://www-callug.cs.berkeley.edu/macwin.html
It can talk appletalk fine.  In fact, I'm using netatalk to share files
out to people.  Its just that, traditionally, one thinks of linux as a
server and thus there are no appleshare clients out there that will
mount appleshares using appletalk.  The afpfs project seems to have been
abandoned.  Given time (that wonderously elusive thing), I'd like to
pick it up since I can seen the need within my own company for it.  But
anyway, I need some way to get to this appleshare server, and saw that
it had SMB support so I tried that route.  Of course, who is to say that
Apple got SMB right in this version?

>> looked and looked at many things and many SMB clients.  I've tried
>> smbclient, smbmount, Sharity, and even just doing a mount -t smbfs.
>> All
>> of them come back with something of this form:
>> Protocol Negotiation Failed
>> SMB connection failed.
>
> So what protocol does your apple talk ... (no I don't expect you to know
> that). You could get a network trace from the linux box and send it to
> me,
> and I'll have a look later. Something like:
>
> tcpdump -w negotiate.trc -s 1600 port 139 &
> smbmount //server/share /mnt/smb -o ...
> [wait for failure]
> kill %1
>
> The last may depend on your shell, do what it takes to kill tcpdump.
>
> Or you could look at the trace yourself and compare with the docs in the
> "specs" directory of the samba download area (www.samba.org, find a
> mirror).
>
> Please note: even if I can decode what is wrong with the negotiation,
> there is nothing that says the rest of it will just work. Even if it
> works
> with windows clients.
I have the trace attached.  Said it caught 10 packets.  And I will be
looking at it myself.  That is, if I can figure out how to do that.  Yes
I know, its a valuable skill that I haven't learned yet.  :)  Now is a
good time.

>> 	I have tried using samba 2.2.1a, samba 2.2.2.  I have upgraded my
>> kernel from 2.4.9 to 2.4.13 in the hopes that some of the smbfs fixes
>> in
>> 2.4.11 would help.  None of this has helped.  What is funny is that I
>> can use samba to connect to every other Windows shared directory.
>> Works
>
> That is because developers of the listed clients have had access to
> windows machines doing SMB filesharing. For similar reasons smbfs, at
> least, is a rather poor client to OS/2 servers.
Quite understandable.

>> on whether this will work.  If I am asking the wrong person about this,
>> please let me know who I should direct my questions to.  Thanks.
>
> This is the right list for samba related problems, so I'd say you've got
> the right one.
>
> /Urban

Thanks for your help.
William Mulvihill, Web Master