Samba-Win200 login/password issue

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Thu Nov 15 04:53:03 GMT 2001

Ismet Dere wrote:

> I think this question been asked/answered before, but please forgive me for
> this.
>
> I have Samba server on RH7.2 Linux and Win98/2000 workstations setup.
>
> both win98/2000 workstations connects to same samba share, Linux(samba
> server) user and Win98/2000 user/passwords are set same and i've updated
> both of win98/2000 workstations registy with win98/win2000_PlainPasswor.reg
> file from samba website.
>
> When  I login to Win98 it also login to the samba shared folder automaticaly
> and smoothly, but when I login to Win2000 it asks for samba password
> seperate from win2000 login/password, so far i'm not sure why.

I think its part of the MS 'are you really sure you want plaintext'
stuff.  Bascilly MS will always re-prompt, becouse you could be sending
that password off to anyone, and they have been bitten like this before.

I would always run with 'encrypt passwords = yes' and setup an smbpasswd
file, becouse it always works *much* better, and doesn't require client
hacks.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org